This page is under construction. Please see the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 project reports.

Granary C123 in 1920s


When the University of Michigan excavated the site between 1928 and 1934, they were engaged in a struggle to preserve the site from the sebakhin, who were exploiting the mud brick on an industrial scale. They found the houses in excellent condition, with many organic remains surviving the ages. Because they did not backfill the site, however, the buildings have suffered from rainfall and wind erosion.